King George VI silver 50% silver sixpence in the Cream Collection.
- King George VI silver sixpence
- 50% sterling silver
- Beautiful design of
- Various dates from 1937 to 1947 - please chose from variations
- Sent in a blue jewellery box with a cream jewellery carry bag
- First class GB postage, tracked and signed.
- Overseas postage - tracked and signed.
- An up-grade is available to the White collection packaging
- Safe and secure payment.
King George VI Sixpence History
King George VI 1937 to 1946 wedding sixpence is 50% silver and was sadly the last sixpence to contain silver.
The ending of silver in sixpences in 1946 and sixpences after this date are not silver and so are not true to the “silver sixpence in your shoe” rhyme.
George VI became King unexpectedly following the abdication of his brother, King Edward VIII, in December 1936.
A conscientious and dedicated man, he worked hard to adapt to the role into which he was suddenly thrown.
Reserved by nature, and of deep religious belief, he was helped in his work by his wife. He had married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923, known affectionately as “The Queen Mother”.
This is a lovely sixpence, incorporating the date of the start and finish of the Second World War.
Our Wedding Sixpences
Our sixpences have been circulated throughout Great Britain and overseas territories past and present and as such will have wear and scratches.
They are unique and each one slightly different because of the usage, they all have a story to tell and have survived through World War II, survived the stock market crash, survived Christmas puddings and the 1960s.
Packaging may change through unexpected shortages. Our high standard will be maintained.
All our silver sixpences have been thoroughly cleaned and carefully packed.
We donate a percentage of our sales to charity, our chosen charity is Cancer Research Wales
Payment is easy and safe with various methods.
The Cream Collection
The Cream Collection Sixpences consist of:
- 50% silver authentic sixpence
- Comes in a blue flip up box
- Cream carry bag
- Can be upgraded to the white collection packaging for £20.00. See drop down menu.